Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Shifting gears


I should be getting author copies of “Beyond the Smoke” any time now. I’ve begun by doing the release announcement at 26 different online writing groups and sites with a combined membership of over 8000 (although there are a number of duplications). I have set 14 interviews so far most of which post next month and have a very good exposure coming up in Christian Fiction Online Magazine in the next issue.

I have a book trailer done and posted on my website, Myspace, Youtube and Blazing Trailers. I’ve started getting reviewers and influencers and the early ones are working off of the galleys. Some others will do it when I get review copies in my hands to send. The galleys went a couple of months ago to Bookpage, Christian Library Services, Kirkus Reviews, School Library Journal, Booklist and Christian Book Preview.com. As soon as the publisher has the listing there are some reviews headed for Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christianbook.com and other online review sites. I’m working with Hastings to do a book tour if a number of the over 100 stores they have in the tri-state area.

I’m sending an announcement to the database I have of over 4000 friends and relatives, former purchasers, church members, classmates and business associates from my chamber of commerce days. Many of these will be email to save money but many will be postcards as well.

BJU Press is strong in the home-school market and I expect this title to do well there. Some of the galleys sent out were intended to help get into the libraries, public, church and school and I will do a lot of individual contacts to augment those shelvings. I do a lot of speaking engagements, programs, and workshops and will of course have some sales connected with them.

That should get me started. This is a good time of the year for it with the Christmas lull, and the economy has the book industry proceeding cautiously now as well. It means shifting a lot of writing time to promotion and marketing because I don’t want to cut into the time I spend on behalf of my clients.

But today I need to focus on Saundra. It’s her birthday, a rather memorable one, and I’ll be taking her out for her favorite treat . . . lobster. We can get a surprisingly decent one given how far we are from the coast. So I’ll do what I can during the day, then it’s close the computer and give her all my attention. That’s how it’s supposed to work, right?
Happy Birthday, Babe.

No comments: